It’s no secret that today’s society communicates as much, if not more, with pictures and videos than with text alone. Many businesses have caught on and begun to use videos loaded onto YouTube as a means of communicating with their audience and with potential customers. If your business has boarded the YouTube video train (and if it hasn’t, it’s about time it did), then it is best to make sure that you are getting the most out of your content.
To make sure you are optimizing your video content, start by going to the Video Manager section on your YouTube account. To get there, click on the “Video Manager” tab found on your YouTube channel’s home page.
Once you get to the “Video Manager” page, locate the video you have posted and click the “Edit” button.
Once you are in the editing portion, you are ready to optimize your video.
There are a few different things to look at when it comes to optimization.
1. Title. Be sure to properly title your video. If possible, add some key words that link back to your site. This will help your business show up more frequently in search engines.
2. Description. Be sure to add a link back to your website in the description section of your video. Then write a short description (no more than two or three sentences) describing what the video is about. After that, put in a description of your company and briefly describe some of the services offered. This helps lead potential customers back to your site after they have finished watching your video.
3. Tags. These are very important and often skipped. Tags allow people to find your video by keywords, rather than directly from visiting your channel. They also allow your videos to come up when someone is searching on Google for the topic that your video is about.
4. Privacy Settings. When you upload a video to YouTube, the video’s privacy setting is automatically set at “Unlisted”, meaning that people will not be able to find it unless they have a direct link sent by you. Make sure you set the video to “Public” so that everyone is able to view it.
5. Category. Putting your YouTube video in a category makes it easier for viewers to locate videos relevant to the topic they are searching for. By categorizing your video, you are more likely to get viewers who are actually interested in the video and, therefore, more likely to engage with your business.
By optimizing your YouTube videos, you are ensuring that they get the most reach and maximizing the benefits of communicating through video. So, go on! It’s time to Optimize!
For more social media tips, connect with us on Facebook!