If you use LinkedIn for your lead generation, networking, or hiring, you may have run into the “commercial use limit” set by LinkedIn. This limit restricts you from using LinkedIn prospecting and hiring, without paying. For business owners and recruiters, this limit is slowing down your ability to build a strong LinkedIn network.
This blog provides you everything you need to know about the Commercial User Limit and some tips to avoid reaching the limit.
What is LinkedIn’s Commercial Use Limit?
The commercial use limit restricts the number of profiles someone can search for. It’s was put in place by LinkedIn to prevent their users from using the free LinkedIn experience for commercial purposes like sourcing and lead generation.
What Does LinkedIn Count as a Commercial Use?
Linkedin has built an algorithm that constantly monitors your page that will determine if you are using your page for commercial reasons. While there is no specific limit, there are a few actions that point toward commercial usage:
- Viewing profiles of people who you aren’t connected to
- Searching outside of your network using filters
- Browsing profiles that are shown in the ‘People Also Viewed’
How Long Does the LinkedIn Commercial Use Limit Last?
Luckily, your limit resets at midnight the first of each calendar month.
Tips to Avoid the LinkedIn Commercial Use Limit
- Avoid Untargeted Searches: Don’t click on profiles because you are curious if that is a friend of a friend. Keep your LinkedIn networking strictly for your business goals and read their headline for relevance before clicking on their profile to learn more. Another option here is to see the names in your search results and Google them before viewing their LinkedIn profile.
- Remove Third Party Applications: There are certain LinkedIn crawler tools out there that will quickly run you up against the limit. Consider disconnecting all third-party tools from your account and resetting your LinkedIn password to ensure all the networking is being done by you.
- Spread Out Your Networking: Instead of networking for 2 hours straight, try to network for 15 minutes every few days. This way you will be less likely to trigger the algorithm.
At the end of the day, these tips will only get you so far. If you find that you are constantly reaching the Commercial Use Limit, it may be a good idea to buy Sales Navigator. LinkedIn Premium Essentials and Career subscriptions both still have a commercial use limit, so the Sales Navigator is your only option. Of course, it’s also the most expensive one!
If you have questions or need help setting up your LinkedIn Sales Navigator, please feel free to contact us.
LinkedIn now has over 500 million members
Is your profile optimized to attract and compel potential clients to work with you? Our team is currently offering a free social media audit in which we will review your LinkedIn profile and let you know how you can improve it.
CLICK HERE to sign up for a complimentary 30 Minute Social Media Audit