Choosing which social media channels to put your business on can be difficult. There are so many and it seems like new ones are showing up every day. It’s impossible to be on all of them effectively, so how should a business owner decide where to begin? One place to start is demographics. If you know who your target audience is, you can focus your attention on the social media channels where your ideal customer spends their time. Here is the demographic information of some of the top social media channels.
- 71% of all internet users also use Facebook
- Facebook users are 54% Women and 46% Men
- 61% of users are between 18 and 49 years old
- 18% of all internet users also use Twitter
- Twitter users are 48% Men and 52% Women
- 78% of users are between 18 and 49 years old
- 22% of all internet users also use LinkedIn
- LinkedIn users are 56% Men and 44% Women
- 65% of users are between 30 and 64 years old
- 17% of all internet users also use Instagram
- Instagram users are 57% Women and 43% Men
- 60% of users are between 18 and 29
- 21% of all internet users also use Pinterest
- Pinterest users are 80% Women and 20% Men
- 69% of users are between 18 and 49
Using this information, you can choose which channel (or multiple channels) will be best for your business. Want to target women? Pinterest is probably a good choice. Want to target people in their 20s? Instagram might be for you.
By taking what you know about your ideal client and using this user information, you can formulate a strategy around which channels to use and how to engage users on those channels.
For more specific demographic information, check out a recent study published by PewResearch Internet Project, which is where I gathered this information.