You’ve probably heard the phrase “above the fold” when it comes to newspapers. In the olden days, newspapers were the most used source of information. The most important stuff usually appeared on the top part of the paper “above the fold” when the newspaper was folded in half.
In the social media world, there is such thing as above the fold on Facebook. Right underneath your timeline photo there are four boxes that you can share photos, recent check ins or a variety of other Facebook apps. These four boxes are the “above the fold” for your Facebook page because they are the first things people can see and interact with when they visit your page.
One of the best things to put on these boxes is a link to your YouTube channel. As you post links to your videos on your Facebook page, with time they get filtered further and further down and eventually out of the news feed. With YouTube for pages, users can interact with your YouTube at any point in time they visit your page.
If you go into the search bar at the top of the page and type in YouTube for Pages you can simply link your YouTube to your Facebook page. Here is how:
- Search for the app “YouTube for Pages.
- Click on it and then click on install.
- From the drop down menu, chose which page you would like to put the app on (if you manage more than one page).
- Once selected click “Go To App”
- Enter your company information
- Setting up the channel requires a few minor steps. First you are going to want to check “Hide Related Videos” that way other people’s content doesn’t show up after your video is done being played. Also you will need to decide whether or not you want YouTube to automatically post to your Facebook page when a new video is uploaded. Lastly you will want to choose which video be featured on your page. This is the video that people see when they click on the YouTube box at the top of the page.
- The last thing you must do in order to have your YouTube channel “above the fold” is to position in one of the first four boxes. Go to your page and click the dropdown arrow next to your apps. Then hover over the box where you want to YouTube channel to go and click the pencil in the top right corner. Here you can chose to swap places with your YouTube channel so that it appears “above the fold” on your page.
To stay up today on all social media news, please join us on Facebook!