Are you getting endorsed for irrelevant skills on your LinkedIn profile? Unwanted endorsements can add up quickly and gain unwanted traction if left alone. Worse, these false votes of confidence could lead people to believe that your professional capabilities lie somewhere outside of your preferred scope of work.
Regardless of whether this disconnect resulted from growing as a professional or through the misguided efforts of well-intentioned friends, many of us have been there. Fortunately, LinkedIn offers a way to hide any endorsements you don’t want to focus on, letting the more important areas of your professional pedigree shine.
Here’s how you can get these endorsements out of your sight and out of your contacts’ minds:
- Login to your account and visit your profile page.
- Scroll down to the Skills & Endorsements
- Hover your mouse over the area to the right of the section header.
- Click Add Skill when it appears.
- Click Manage Endorsements.
- Select the skill you’d like to hide, then click Show/hide all endorsements in the box to the right.
- Repeat until only the most valuable skills remain.
- Click the Save button at the bottom.
If there are some endorsements on your profile that don’t make sense for your current position but may be useful in the future, rest assured. You can keep your options open by making the change temporary.
In the meantime, populate this section with the areas you’d like to be known for in your current role or whichever position you have an eye on.
For more social media information, find us on Facebook!